Information for Local and Self-Published Authors
For emerging authors hoping to get their books in the store, please read the following guidelines regarding our policies
Please make an appointment in advance. We would like to speak with you regarding your work and the best way to market it, however, because we are in a retail environment appointments MUST be made in advance. We will be unable to speak with you without an appointment. Request an appointment via firstname.lastname@example.org
Review copies provided to the store become the property of Caprichos Books
Please provide us with the following:
- Publisher information
- Distribution information
- Pricing (retail and wholesale)
- Contact information for the author
- Web address for author and/or book
- A copy of or synopsis of the book
- List of other retailers stocking the title
- Advertising/marketing undertaken by the author
- Events and gatherings executed or scheduled
- JPEG image of cover art for web use
Please review our consignment policy below prior to meeting.
- Self-published books are taken on a consignment basis only until a proven sales record is established.
- Wholesale and retail costs of the book will be established upon acceptance of the book. Typical markup from wholesale is 40 percent
- Caprichos Books will stock the title for six months, reordering when necessary.
- Caprichos Books will list the title for sale on our website in the local authors section. Authors MUST link to Caprichos Books website from their own website(s).
- If the book sells within the allotted six-month time period, payment will be made.
- The basic handling fee for consignment books is $25, which directly covers promotional costs that traditional publishers enjoy at Caprichos Books. Checks should be made to Caprichos Books and paid upon acceptance of your book.
Tips for a successful consignment
- Encourage your friends, family, and other contacts to purchase your book at Caprichos Books or through our website.
- Contact local media and mailing lists to let them know that the book is available at Caprichos Books
- Send out press releases, review copies and other promotional materials.
- Get involved with book clubs, libraries, and other community organizations. Greater success comes from a wide array of author-coordinated promotion.